Chris Cheston wrote:
Hi all,

I was running Postgres 7.3 and it was running at about 15% with my
application. On Postgres 7.4 on another box, it was running at 100%...

People are going to need more information. Are you talking about CPU/disk IO/memory?

My settings are default on both boxes I think.

Doubtful - PG crawls with the default settings. Check your old postgresql.conf file and compare. Also, read the tuning article at:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php

There are only about 20 inserts per second, which is really low. Anyone have any ideas as to something I have to do to Postgres 7.4 to
change it from the default so that it's not eating up all my CPU? I
have no clue how to debug this...

What does top/vmstat/iostat show during heavy usage?

Help please!!!!  Should I downgrade to 7.3 to see what happens?  BTW
I'm running Postgres 7.3.2 on:

Linux box 2.4.25-040218 #1 SMP Wed Feb 18 17:59:29 CET 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

on a single processor P4 1.4GHz, 512 MB RAM.  Does the SMP kernel do
something with the single processor CPU? or should this not affect
psql?

Don't know about the SMP thing. Unlikely that one of the big distributions would mess that up much though.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend