On the context switching issue, we've found that this setting in /etc/system
helps:

set rechoose_interval=30

this sets the minimum time that a process is eligible to be switched to another
cpu. (the default is 3).

You can monitor context switching with the cs column in vmstat.  We've found
that high context switching seems to be more a symptom,
rather than a cause of problems -- for example we had an issue with column
statistics and some really bad queries, and the cpu's start
context switching like crazy. (20,000 - 50,000 or more in a 5 second period,
normally < 5000 per 5 second period under heavy load.)

Brandon Metcalf wrote: