There is clear benefit from forcing them to be the same. In logical data
terms, they *should* be the same. I don't check fruit.apple_grade
against fruit_type.orange_grade. When would I want to make a check of
that nature? If there is a reason, thats great, lets keep status quo
then.

I respect the effort and thought that has already gone into the
implementation; I seek only to offer a very minor improvement based upon
recent list issues.

The main problem would be people getting errors when upgrading their databases, or restoring from a backup, say.

Chris

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq