If there are potentially hundreds of clients at a time, then you may be
running into the maximum connection limit.

In postgresql.conf, there is a max_connections setting which IIRC
defaults to 100.  If you try to open more concurrent connections to the
backend than that, you will get a connection refused.

If your DB is fairly gnarly and your performance needs are minimal it
should be safe to increase max_connections.  An alternative approach
would be to add some kind of database broker program.  Instead of each
agent connecting directly to the database, they could pass their data to
a broker, which could then implement connection pooling.

-- Mark Lewis