Slavisa Garic wrote:
This is a serious problem for me as there are multiple users using our
software on our server and I would want to avoid having connections
open for a long time. In the scenario mentioned below I haven't
explained the magnitute of the communications happening between Agents
and DBServer. There could possibly be 100 or more Agents per
experiment, per user running on remote machines at the same time,
hence we need short transactions/pgsql connections. Agents need a
reliable connection because failure to connect could mean a loss of
computation results that were gathered over long periods of time.

Plenty of others have discussed the technical reasons why you are seeing these connection issues. If you find it difficult to change your way of working, you might find the pgpool connection-pooling project useful:
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton