Hrm... I was about to suggest that for timing just the query (and not
output/data transfer time) using explain analyze, but then I remembered
that explain analyze can incur some non-trivial overhead with the timing
calls. Is there a way to run the query but have psql ignore the output?
If so, you could use \timing.

In any case, it's not valid to use pgadmin to time things.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant               [EMAIL PROTECTED]