John Arbash Meinel wrote:

>Matthew Schumacher wrote:
>

>>All it's doing is trying the update before the insert to get around the
>>problem of not knowing which is needed.  With only 2-3 of the queries
>>implemented I'm already back to running about the same speed as the
>>original SA proc that is going to ship with SA 3.1.0.
>>
>>All of the queries are using indexes so at this point I'm pretty
>>convinced that the biggest problem is the sheer number of queries
>>required to run this proc 200 times for each email (once for each token).
>>
>>I don't see anything that could be done to make this much faster on the
>>postgres end, it's looking like the solution is going to involve cutting
>>down the number of queries some how.
>>
>>One thing that is still very puzzling to me is why this runs so much
>>slower when I put the data.sql in a transaction.  Obviously transactions
>>are acting different when you call a proc a zillion times vs an insert
>>query.
>>

>Well, I played with adding a COMMIT;BEGIN; statement to your exact test
>every 1000 lines. And this is what I got:

Just for reference, I also tested this on my old server, which is a dual
Celeron 450 with 256M ram. FC4 and Postgres 8.0.3
Unmodified:
real    54m15.557s
user    0m24.328s
sys     0m14.200s

With Transactions every 1000 selects, and vacuum every 5000:
real    8m36.528s
user    0m16.585s
sys     0m12.569s

With Transactions every 1000 selects, and vacuum every 10000:
real    7m50.748s
user    0m16.183s
sys     0m12.489s

On this machine vacuum is more expensive, since it doesn't have as much ram.

Anyway, on this machine, I see approx 7x improvement. Which I think is
probably going to satisfy your spamassassin needs.
John
=:->

PS> Looking forward to having a spamassassin that can utilize my
favorite db. Right now, I'm not using a db backend because it wasn't
worth setting up mysql.