I recall a reference on the list indicating that newer Xeon processors
don't suffer from the context switching problem reported last year.

In searching the archives, I can't find any specific info indentifying
which Xeon processors don't have this problem.

Anyone point me to a reference?

We recently migrated to a woodcrest @ 3 GHz from a 2 Ghz opteron. The
woodcrest seems to be enjoying doing db-related work. I don't have
numbers other than load is much lower now.

Is this in any way related to the version of Postgresql one is running?
  We're headed for 8, but have a bit of work before we can get there.
We are currently on 7.4.16.

We are at 7.4.14 which works fine atm.

regards
Claus