On 22 May 2013 13:44, Camillo Bruni <camillobr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013-05-22, at 14:36, Frank Shearar <frank.shea...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> well, check on how much we changed in detail and them come back.
>>
>> Sorry, was that supposed to be an answer? I must go find out how much
>> work you've done before guessing whether you've forked and abandoned
>> upstream?
>
> abandon or progress that's the question here.

That's a false dichotomy. There's a middle path, where you do the MC
equivalent of a pull request. Now there's something useful to aim for:
GitHub works so very, very well because it's utterly trivial to make
upstream repositories know you have improvements lying around. Because
fragmentation of your committer base _does not help you_ in the long
run.

Now if the upstream maintainer _dies_, sure, that's a different story.

>> Like I said: What I want to know is this: if I want to make a change
>> to infrastructure common to multiple Smalltalks, does Pharo expect me
>> to submit special unique snowflake additions to Pharo AND to upstream?
>
> well if you expect us to push anything upstream then have a look at the
> massive amount of changes that happened since pharo 1.0.

I don't care about Pharo 1.0 in the context of this discussion. I care
about one particular package, one that should have no UI elements in
it or similar nasty sources of entanglement. (I have attempted to port
quite a few Pharo packages to Squeak. Lack of separation between UI
and core functionality has been the only reason I've had to abandon a
port, thus far.) And certainly Gofer as it's pulled in via Metacello
(er, which one? The upstream one, not Pharo's fork of same) works fine
in Pharo, Squeak and Gemstone, and wherever else Metacello and Gofer
run. I should _not_ have to submit to more than one repository to add
functionality to Gofer.

> There IS a reason pharo forked from squeak...

I'm not pursuing this thread: it's my understanding that the fork was
largely political, and personal, and that's as far as I'm going to
talk about it.

frank