Tim Mackinnon wrote:
Hi guys - this was an interesting thread - and exactly the reason why I brought
up “Zapp Empowerment” at ESUG this year.

just to let you know, based on your enthusiasm for this book,
I bought it (but not yet read it).

And one minor thought on the original post that didn't otherwise warrant its own reply earlier... I think its important not to quash negativity. Its a reflection of frustrations that community members sometimes feel (as in any situation), and feeling unable to vent is a risk for people drifting away from the community. "Feeling" free to be negative is part of what helps people feel part of a community - but its about how that is done.

I felt a bit that the take-away-message from the original post was
"be positive" (which some people had issue with) but I think the intent was "be constructive" is criticism.

cheers -ben

I felt the passion from every single one of you - and in fact, everyone had an
interesting point to make. I got a bit nervous as I worked up the 40+ replies,
but I was pleased that no-one seemed to take great offence as we covered a wide
range of related ideas.

If I could make one small comment - sometimes I think the gems in a reply can
easily get lost if you don’t pay special attention to how the person(s) reading
it might react. I think we all agree that we do like this community and the
amazing work it has done (and continues to do) - and so its worth acknowledging
someone’s ideas and then building on them. If you disagree with them however -
try acknowledging what they have said and then suggest that there is an equally
valid point of view/idea that they can also consider.

But I’m also glad we aren’t afraid to cover difficult conversations. I do think we can all practice giving and receiving feedback in a way that can keep the energy high.
Personally I really like that many of the old things are being modernised (GT
Inspector blew me away - as it has done for colleagues who don’t even use
Smalltalk). Equally, finding a way to get some community input via a
survey/vote sounds quite interesting to prioritise a few things (possibly not
for everything - as we are asking people to invest their spare time and energy
on a labor of love - so we should go where the energy is). Equally, anything we
can do to help keep the engineering high is equally appreciated - and I have
seen it get better and better over the years.

Tim