Alexandre Bergel <alexandre.ber...@me.com> writes:

> I have tried several times to use Git for my project. But I do not
> want to spend time on configuring .gitattribute and other
> configuration file. This does not go in the right direction I believe.
> Why is it easier to use git with Java than it is with Pharo?

I disagree, I think configuring .gitattribute (for the merge driver) is
an important step forward. It means that Pharo can control the merge.
Currently, it's only useful for metadata. But later, it might be useful
to facilitate code merges: e.g., a method is renamed in a branch and
improved in another. This should not generate a conflict. With Epicea,
we might be able to avoid this conflict in the future and drive the
merge successfully.

Another example: two branches each adds an instance variable to the same
class. This should not generate a conflict. The merge driver could
detect that and merge successfully.

Final example: the merge driver could run the unit tests while merging
to tell the developer when a merge is correct and when it is not.

The merge driver means we can merge ASTs, not lines of source code.

For me, the merge driver is the future, not the past. Thanks Thierry.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill