Yes, about the git config core.longpaths true: works here as well.

It requires git for windows > 1.9 to work. My 1.8.x choked, had to upgrade.

I have checked out the VM code where there was the GeniePlugin problem and
the issue was gone with that setup.

cp -r or rm -rf indeed give trouble.

If we used the Windows subst command to map a drive to some depth in the
path and work from there, it would solve the issue. That's how I've done
that for Java never ending directories in the past.

Operations are also very slow compared to Unix.

Phil