> On 7 Nov 2016, at 14:39, Nicolas Passerini <npasser...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <mailto:dionisi...@gmail.com>>:
> NativeStructure
>    subclass : #SDL_Point
>    layout : StructureLayout
>    slots: { #x &=> #int. #y &=> #int}
> (I got example of Ronie definition from his paper
> https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01353884/document
> <https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01353884/document>).
> So all offsets logic will go to one place StructureLayout and slots. And also
> we will not forced to use accessors anymore.
>
> I like this idea.
> But one question, would it be backwards compatible? (I mean, if I have
> current FFI invocations that use a structure in the traditional way, will I
> have to change all these functions if I try to migrate to this new idea?)

no, and that’s why I didn’t considered it for now.
this is an api change, non backwards compatible and then it breaks my own
criteria about Pharo6 development: no more API changes.

but yes, in general, I like the idea… just we cannot break things just like
that (I know, I break things… but this is not willingly :P)

Esteban