I agree with Pablo, #cr and #lf should not be clever and just be names for
the carriage return and linefeed characters/codepoints.

Making #newLine's behavior dependent on the current platform disturbs me,
though. I'd rather have:

Stream >> newLineFor: platform
    self nextPutAll: platform lineEnding

Stream >> newLineForCurrentPlatform
    self newLineFor: OSPlatform current

Stream >> newLineForWindows "convenience for the most common platforms
Stream >> newLineForUnix
Stream >> newLineForHistoricReasons

Stream >> newLine
    "delegates to one of the above, I'd argue for unix for convenience, but
windows is the technically correct combination of cr + lf, and cr only is
the historic one"

--
Damien Pollet