Hi,

It seems the two methods have exactly the same behavior indeed.
valueWithPossibleArgs: anArray
valueWithEnoughArguments: anArray

One was edited recently but I think it's only to change the comment,
they're both very old. My guess is that there are two for compatibility
purpose (One is the selector that is considered as the most relevant that
should be used, the other one is the one also present in other Smalltalks
so we have it for cross-Smalltalk librairies or something like that), but
only one is really needed. If you need only the concept for SOM-NS you can
just implement one, if you want to be compatible with different Smalltalk
lib implement both.

All use-cases of these methods I have found do not inject nils, they expect
the block to have a number of arguments of the block less or equal to the
number of parameters in the argument array. I would say they're used as
#cullWithArguments: but for some reason other selector names were
preferred.

Now, as you mentioned, these two methods are more than just cullWithArguments:
since they inject nils if there are not enough parameters. To me it looks
incorrect to do so because then while debugging your code you will get
issues due to those injected nils and it will be tedious for the
application programmer to track the problem down to these two methods.

There a few use-cases for nil injection though. Typically when changing
existing frameworks in multiple repositories, it may be that during the
update process the change to the caller is installed before the change of
the callee, and if the code is actually used (code in UI for instance),
injecting nils might avoid system break-down. Another use-case is for
compatibility with frameworks using the nil injection, but I can't find a
framework doing that right now.

Honestly, I would not implement the nil injection, but maybe some one else
has a different point of view.

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer