as far as I understand it, you have this:

Calypso v1
 - Commander v1
    - ClassAnnotations v1

You are working on and you fix a version in ClassAnnotations

Calypso v1
 - Commander v1
    - ClassAnnotations v2

but you still do not want to make it as a release. When rebuilding your
image, you want to be able to load all three packages in the latest state.
Then you make a new change in Calypso

Calypso v2
 - Commander v1
    - ClassAnnotations v2

and you want to mark this dependency tree as a new release version

-- Pavel