On 14 April 2018 at 01:10, Guillermo Polito <guillermopol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>

> Esteban is working on adding the add remote to the pull/push windows
>
> https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/624
>
> so you will have less clicks to do there ;)
>

>> Now the key thing here is that I **didn't** have to first
>> synchronise  github.com:bencoman/pharo.git  with  github.com:
>> pharo-project/pharo.git
>> and remember to clone  github.com: bencoman/pharo.git .
>> I just pushed to my repo **after-the-fact**.
>>
>> I haven't submitted many fixes lately to get familiar with Iceberg,
>> and maybe I missed something in the old workflow,
>> but previously it seemed that my pharo github repo needed to be up to
>> date,
>> and I must clone from there.
>>

> Well, it depends.
>
> Scenario 1) If you're not planning to reuse your clone, you don't need to
> care about synchronize.
>  - just reclone pharo from pharo
>  - add your fork as remote
>  - you're set
>
> Scenario 2) If you want to reuse your clone you may not synchronize them.
>  - pull from pharo from time to time
>  - start a new branch from the current commit
>  - you're set
>
> But then, there is people that may want/need to have some other workflow.
> For example:
>  - I start from scenario 1
>  - make a branch
>  - commit some work
>  - tomorrow I come back and I download a new image
>     * a couple of integrations may have happened in between!!
>     * but I want to continue working in my branch
>
> Then the scenario could be solved as:
>  - fetch from pharo
>  - if you're in detached mode, just use the merge image into branch action
> and select your branch
>  - or if you want to do it manually:
>    - checkout your branch in your image without loading packages
>    - merge pharo/development into your branch
>  - continue working
>
> Now, what I would like is that we detect such "common rough scenarios"
> and discuss how we could have a better UI support for them.
> Maybe we need as a part of the Pharo plugin a wizard that takes you
> through the "synchronize my image again please"?
> Or could it be solved with some strategy that is general enough to be
> reused in any repository?
>

>> The new UI is intuitive and made it east to clone from pharo-project,
>> make fix the push to bencoman.
>> I worked this out from just a small bit of trial & error.
>>

>> One request...
>> In attached snapshot where the remotes show "origin",
>> please consider showing that as "pharo-project"
>> The term "origin" is useful for generic documentation and for examples,
>> but there is *nothing* special about that label from a git perspective.
>> A remote is a remote is a remote.
>>

> Well that's mostly a libgit thing. It does it by default I think when you
> clone, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would be against breaking
> such default because that's how git works also.

Its not "the" way git works.  Its just the "default".
Any name can be used to refer to the upstream repo.
i.e...
  --origin <name>
       Instead of using the remote name origin to keep track of the
upstream repository, use <name>.
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-clone

but never-mind, you've got bigger fish to fry :)
cheers -ben