hi,

> On 24 Apr 2018, at 00:49, monty <mon...@programmer.net> wrote:
>
> +1.
>
> Replacing is sometimes necessary (Sven's stream work is an obvious example),
> but I don't see why Nautilus had to be junked rather than gradually evolved
> into Calypso.

that’s clearly because you didn’t see nautilus at the inside.
In fact, calypso started like that… we wanted to refactor nautilus into
something usable, but after losing two months of Denis work, we decided to go
other direction, since it was just impossible to do it properly without doing
it again. And the effort of doing it from scratch was less than “destroy the
house for the inside but let the façade” that would have been working with
Nautilus. Also, in the case of Nautilus (or any system browser), there is the
adding complexity of refactoring within itself.
Not everything can be refactored/patched up to the infinite.

> And I don't see why the catalog can't be gradually evolved into something
> better. Killing it off would be discouraging to the users who went through
> the trouble of adding #catalogXXX methods to their configs and publishing
> them to the meta repos. Why would they bother adopting whatever replaces the
> catalog if they think it will just get killed off too?

catalog was a “temporary piece” that stayed for years.
it was never intend to stay because it has some important limitations.
said that, it can evolve from the quasi-prototype it is now (I should know, it
was me who did it) to a real catalog.

curiously, I’m thinking one part of making it better would be simplify it, but
that’s another story.

I wonder why people is so concerned about the use of “killing catalog” phrase.
If you know the history of Pharo, we never “kill” anything we do not have a
replacement for it so it was never in the table a proposal of just removing it.
But to be good it needs:

- some better way of collect baselines than force to build a configuration
- a better place to be
- some kind of validation rules
- etc, etc, etc.

So well, in this case maybe refactor it is not an option, since many of the
assumptions it has are no longer valid.

cheers,
Esteban