Hi

> Am 02.11.2018 um 11:15 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <stepharo.s...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi
>
> Pay attention the following email is not nice and politically correct
> but it is important for the speed of improvements in Pharo.

thanks for the disclaimer. It is important. I copy that because mine might be
not political correct, too.

> I think that we are doing our best when dealing with subproject code.
> Now if we are forced to publish each little changes
> on each subproject and wait that something gets integrated into each
> subproject, then I would prefer to stop Pharo and do something else.
> We cannot ask someone to stop in the middle of a massive super boring
> and feel like shit cleaning in addition to stop and
> please publish a PR and wait that it gets integrated and wait that
> Pharo integrates the new version.
> Let us be a bit serious and pro here.

I know this. And I’m taking it serious because I want to talk about it. If you
decide that you rather be offended then talk please do. I find it annoying that
a lot of topics are washed away because someone is offended. That is just
another way of killing communication although it is a state-of-the-art these
days.

> Or we should drop subprojects. Because changing Pharo is getting a
> painful. Imagine just a change cross cutting several subprojects.
> For example, I did not fix the use of deprecated classes in Iceberg
> because I got distracted by the where is the project hosted and I was
> not connected on a good web connection. I changed calypso and
> published to calypso but if the feedback loop is too long it means
> that
> we will prefer to work on our own projects (because we have also our
> own projects and there velocity is high and attractive).
>
> I think that with github support this is simple to get the changes.
> Finally I heard that large companies developing large projects using
> github are managing one single repo: no subprojects, with their own PR
> and sync. And us little guys with our super clever brains we will
> succeed adding more constraints on the table.
> How bold are we. I'm impressed by such level of arrogance. This is why
> I do not like that Pharo gets managed in various repo
> because it kills us.

Actually I was inquiring what everyone is doing to circumvent those problems
(!!!). I have the same situation in my company. I’m the one that is reluctant
to go to monorepo because I don’t like my code jailed in a project. But the
effort we have to take in order to organize a stable and development version
with a lot of external projects is killing us. So can we please talk about it?
Pleeeeeaaassseee???

Norbert