So the killer feature is not the possibility to report issues, propose and
link corrections, enhancements and new features to be merged back, have
them automatically tested on continuous integration bots, comment code
online and have discussions about implementation correctness or style...

If killer feature is not the social part, then we don't really need github.
Git, MC, or any other distributed VCS already handle the trivial ability to
fork.

Forking is very important for handling concurrent timelines. But a good
fork is a fork that is merged back, because it preserves retro
contributions. If divergence of interest is too high, then yes, the ability
to definitely fork is important, but it should be last resort decision.

IMO, time spent to convince that a change must be merged back is not lost
time. Unless the change is not that good. A fork is a super easy and
convenient way to handle the case in short term. But long term divergences
soon become unsustainable drag. So please, be social and cooperative and
favor win-win strategies :)

Le 3 nov. 2018 03:25, "Sean P. DeNigris" <s...@clipperadams.com> a écrit :

NorbertHartl wrote
> In order to make myself independent I fork the projects I consider
> unstable and use the fork in our product. This way I have control when
> there is something updated. This could also be a good way for pharo.

I was thinking the same. This is also what I do. My goal is *never* to
depend on external projects, only my forks. With GH this is trivial. With
mcz repos it was much harder IMHO. And it seems to address Steph's valid
concern because you just commit to your fork and keep moving ahead - no
waiting, just create a PR and it's up to the maintainer to accept or not.

BTW This concept of forking and insulating oneself from unstable external
projects IMHO is *the* killer feature of GH for Smalltalk/Pharo workflows.
How many hours I wasted trying to contact "maintainers" of abandonware mcz
repos to integrate a fix!

-----
Cheers,
Sean