On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:

> Am 04.09.2013 um 11:43 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com>:

>>> Images are very cool and very useful, but saving images in production is a
>>> no go, it is asking for trouble, IMHO.
>>
>> yes, but preparing an image for production often includes opening RFB and
>> save it in that state :)
>>
> It is a good thing to avoid that. Why? Because it is not automatically
> reproducible. If it is it might be better to put it in a start script. I let
> my images build by CI which I copy then on the target machine (in a script of
> course :) ). Then there are start scripts that e.g. start the RFB server. And
> those things always works until I save the image and change this way the
> prerequisites of the process. Or did you mean something different?

in practice is the same.
you have a "preparation script" that opens a RFB and saves the image.
If you say that doing it that way is not good, then I disagree: pharo is image
based and if we do not keep the power of having a "ready to start" image (in
production too), then we are losing something important.
... and we are transforming a necessity (not doing something because is buggy)
into a virtue... and that's just plain wrong :)

but I think we are now talking of different things :)