I go to our web site pharo-project.org

I click on the 3.0 beta option and take the WIN installer ; I select the
download from the browser once completed

I unzip to an alpha-suffixed NEW directory such as

   Pharo3.0-win-BETA-C

I check the README.txt in notepad++

I drag the image onto the exe ; run a sanity check ; quit without daving

I go get latest.zip and unzip in a new folder in my downloads temp area

I manually drag the two unzipped files from that new dir in the temp area
into the new test Pharo dir, e.g., C:\Pharo3.0-win-BETA-C\Pharo 3.0\

I drag the new image with its suffixed-number-name onto pharo.exe

I do a sanity check

My last check reveals that the desktop/world menu item
  Send top window to back ( the one ending with the SLASH char )
has no effect
But the same action on a window from upper right menu does have an effect

Is that known ?

I have now had the fatal error on both XP and on Win7 with Sp1 on a nice
quad core with 16 GB RAM and a huge drive ( my home office work/dev box,
not my writing desk laptop )

If the beta on the home page is not the current beta (prev night's build or
latest good build), then we are making some of us useless as beta testers
... or at least this one beta tester exasperated ;-)

best reagrds,

Robert
Canada