This is awesome forum - thank you so much for replying and I love the way you
explained how Smalltalk can be used. I totally agree that the wheel should
not be re-invented and that I should learn to make these technologies talk
talk together.

I know that Smalltalk is an amazing tool and, unfortunately, one that is not
as well known as others such as Python or C++. The problem is that I cannot
find any tutorials showing how to glue these technologies together in the
way you said, but instead I have found some posts (few sentences) describing
the process abstractly and using comp sci terminology.

I'm building a bespoke robotic system for a client that will access serial
sensor data as well as the webcam for image processing. I see Smalltalk as a
potentially fantastic tool for this. My gut feeling tells me that I should
learn to develop my bespoke tech in Smalltalk, for various reasons, but
doing useful stuff like robotics or image processing requires some demos
that I can work with (for me personally, this is how I learn to build my own
things).

Appreciate the time you took to get back to me.

Thanks