P.S. 2

And yes the Pillar syntax which goes back to the Pier syntax [1] has
been around for quite some time

2008 at least according to

    Pier
    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3700

    http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax

[1] Pharo 6.1 catalog entry for Pillar

Pillar is a wiki-like syntax, its document model, a parser for it, and
a set of exporters (e.g., HTML, LaTeX, Markdown...). Pillar is
primarily used as the wiki syntax behind the *Pier
CMS>http://piercms.com*. Pillar is also being used to write books:
e.g., *the Enterprise Pharo book>http://books.pharo.org/*.

The original creator of Pillar (formerly known as ''the syntax behind
the Pier CMS'') is Lukas Renggli. Nevertheless, *Damien
Cassou>damien.cas...@inria.fr* is now the maintainer. The website is
at *http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar*. Issues should be
reported to *https://github.com/pillar-markup/pillar/issues*