On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 3:57 AM, Jose San Leandro <jose.sanlean...@osoco.es>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was afraid this would hijack the thread, and didn't want to.

No worries. Its pertinent to the topic. Licensing is a bit arcane and
various viewpoints are useful.

I support FSF ideals (I have a hardcopy of Stallman's book [
http://a.co/aso0v7W])
and believe the GPL is appropriate for a lot of software - particularly
off-the-shelf / end-user oriented software, but less appropriate for
bespoke software written under contract for a specific company, (e.g. their
business web site) which is the market Pharo is hoping its user-developers
succeed.
[
http://ballardchalmers.com/2016/03/27/bespoke-software-outgunning-off-the-shelf-software/
]

I don't like these metaphors, and my attempt to answer your question may be
> better, or less obvious, but I think "viral" and "infection" only describe
> the GPL when your mindset does not care about the freedoms the GPL tries to
> preserve.

The essential MIT/GPL license differences is how they treat free-riders and
downstream user rights. You seem concerned with the latter, which is why
the GPL is suited for end-user / packaged / off-the-shelf software.  But
Pharo's user-developers don't control the views of the companies they
contract to, and forcing the GPL as the only licensing option may have a
chilling effect on the ability gain engagements.  So the Pharo mindset is
to preserve the freedom of its user-developer's to negotiate the terms of
their contracts with their clients.

>From that position, what makes the GPL viral is the clause "You may convey
a work based on the Program ... provided that you ... license the entire
work, as a whole."

So I have the freedom to distribute an application combining three
libraries with separate MIT, BSD and Apache licenses while maintaining
those original licenses. But add a GPL library, and now my application must
distribute the other three libraries also under the GPL. Thats viral.

> I'd say "effective against people trying to restrict the rights the GPL
> defends" instead of "viral".

Sorry to be glib, but viral is a lot simpler (for those of a certain
mindset).

> The "infection" interpretation comes from the idea that the GPL restricts
> freedom, which is a trap. We may be used not to care about certain rights,
> or think they are secondary or even worthless. Then, when the GPL forces us
> not to restrict those rights, and we still don't care about what the GPL is
> trying to protect, we can conclude the GPL is a dangerous infection that
> restricts our freedom of choice.

GPL is a mechanism to defend users. Software vendors used to limit users'
> rights obviously get their "rights" limited. The GPL does not respect the
> right to restrict others' rights.

Its horses for courses.  No one viewpoint fits all circumstances. Another
way to look at it is that permissive licenses give a developer more freedom
to combine libraries with different licenses.

I do like this radical simplification I bumped into...
"Another way of looking at it is that you’re picking a license based on
what you are afraid of.
* The MIT license is if you’re afraid no one will use your code; you’re
making the licensing as short and non-intimidating as possible.
* The Apache License you are somewhat afraid of no one using your code, but
you are also afraid of legal ambiguity and patent trolls.
* With the GPL licenses, you are afraid of someone else profiting from your
work [or profiting off end-users] (and ambiguity, and patent trolls)." [
https://exygy.com/which-license-should-i-use-mit-vs-apache-vs-gpl]

...which aligns squarely with Pharo - our greater fear is people not using
it.

> Anyway, I'm not here to judge. MIT may be the most convenient license for
> Pharo nowadays. I'm not discussing that. I just couldn't remain silent
> thinking there's an obvious consensus that GPL is "viral" or an "infection"
> and that should be avoided at all costs.

cool.
cheers -ben