Hi,

I think that licensing is an important issue and despite of being a
pretty political one (a way to express power and empowerment from/to
users) is not discussed deeply, so I welcome a lot a friendly thread
like this one. I share the views of the free software (which is not the
same as open source), but I think that not all software can be released
as such. Even the people at FSF provided exceptions like the LGPL as a
way to balance practical concerns and liberties. In the case of Pharo,
subclassing is the most common way of reusing (instead of linking), the
LGPL doesn't work (a long rationality about when/where to use it is on
[1] and a interesting analysis is [1a]).

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
[1a] http://giovanni.bajo.it/post/56510184181/is-gpl-still-relevant

There are long discussions about how to create cultural (and other)
commons and how licensing plays a role on it. The P2P license[2], for
example, favors cooperatives instead of private corps (I think that a
modification to include small and medium business should be provided).
The idea is that license express a world view (about liberty, sharing,
reciprocity, diversity, fears, etc.) and we should not overseen that. In
my case, what I try to do is to see how a particular license plays a
role in creating a commons and making me part of a community that build
such commons goods. If I chose a different license for Grafoscopio,
instead of MIT, the tool have less probability to be part of the Pharo
commons and community (and is not properly a rising star in popularity
right now!), but I can express my concerns about diversity in licensing
and commons building in other places, like in the Grafoscopio Manual [3].

[2] https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Peer_Production_License
[3]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/Manual/manual.pdf

So I think that we should look at how the licenses have enabled or not
the building of a common world and who is empowered by such licenses as
a complex issue, to balance practical and idealist choices, trying to
make them converge. In my case, having Grafoscopio and its documentation
and related artifacts licensed as Free Cultural Works [4], has given to
me leverage even in negotiations with big entities and they keep such
works and derived ones with the same licenses. So, from my personal
point of view and practices having such mixtures of licenses have not
diminished in any way my own practices in building commons. I would like
to explore (networks of) cooperatives and small/medium business as an
alternative economical practice to enlarge and protect the commons, but
as said, this is a complex issue that requires a lot of field work.

Cheers,

Offray

[4] http://freedomdefined.org/