> A cleaner Pharo will help there.
>
> To be frank, I found later Pharo releases not inspiring. Bigger, bigger and
> bigger with added code, protocol changes, and bugs at will. It is becoming
> too complicated for a hobby use of it.

It’s quite a moving target with so many fundamental changes (GIT being one,
Bootstrap another huge one).

But I have the opposite impression (of course I don’t have to maintain a big
project like yours - I wouldn’t say you’re the hobby user :) ). But I really
find P6 more consistent than what I used to try in the past (last squeaks up to
3.9 and firsts pharo).

And the bootstrapping of P7 will (I think) finally solve big image issues
(allowing to build cleaner distributions). I believe it will be a huge step
forward. At least for me and especially to convince others to try out Pharo.
I just dream of having a network of small images running and communicating,
eventually accessed and programmed by a larger developper image (with
TelePharo).

I haven’t tried the bootstrap yet but sure in the future.

Plus I have the impression Morphic mess is about to be solved.

What’s more problematic to me (as I guess for newcomers) is to find the ‘good’
packages'. For instance, I’m still puzzled when I have to choose between
OSProcess and OSSubprocess (and sometimes depending on loaded projects, we need
both…).

> I decided I will not finish porting DrGeo to P6 or P7, and it will likely die
> with P3.
>
> Pharo should have been clean up to the bones before adding. It was the
> initial moto, no?

I have the (naive) impression that bootstrap will help a lot here, so be
patient ;). Maybe porting to P7/P8 will be more appropriate.
What I would like, is a kind of notation for package to know its state and
usage possibilities.
We see for instance that several I18N exists already (but not 100% integrated
hence this post)...

My 2 cents,

Cédrick

OT question: Would it be possible in the future to generate a bootstrap image
of a given program from a bigger developer image containing running program
(like if running tests where activating all code dependancies ? … like tracing
usage… I guess this is not trivial at all ! I guess this is particularly
difficult to trace all use cases and as dynamically bound, it sure must be
hard).