On 18 June 2018 at 21:39, Herbert Vojčík <he...@mailbox.sk> wrote:

> horrido wrote on 18. 6. 2018 0:04:
>
>> This is what concerns me. I don't care that there are workarounds
>> (undocumented or hard to find).
>>
>> I care that Windows is a most popular development platform. I care that
>> newcomers to Pharo easily find what they need to get started. I care about
>> Pharo's reputation.
>>
>> The last thing Pharo needs is a black eye.
>>

> Do you have enough balls to call out Steph for his obviously wrong
> decision to push Launcher down the users' throats and make him revert to
> working installers / zips? Cause AFAICT there's the bottleneck atm.
>
> Herby

I've been using PharoLauncher for years jumping between Linux & Windows,
and it has worked great.
Its not PharoLauncher itself, but limitations of the NSIS installer that
was used and how that interacted poorly with some environments e.g. admin
versus non-admin accounts.

The meta-problem is that PharoLauncher worked great for its few users who
had compatible environments,
but problems remained submerged because it lacked exposure to broad enough
environments to unearth such problems.
A chicken/egg scenario was limiting broader use of PharoLauncher, and it
would continue to languish
with biting the bullet to get more users - and more reports.  The challenge
is providing enough resource priority
to deal with issues quickly so not to annoy users too much.

I'm very glad PharoLauncher is being promoted as it is,  however it may be
worth considering that
it is for "managing multiple images" and very-new users probably aren't
immediately concerned with that.
Very-new users are concerned with getting something up as quick and easy as
possible,
and PharoLauncher does add a few extra steps.  Maybe the top of the
downloads page could
have the zip downloads tagged something like "Taste Test Install"  and also
include a copy of PBE in those zips.

cheers -ben