H :-),

On 16/06/18 18:12, horrido wrote:
> FYI, I am trying to jumpstart a Smalltalk programming competition.  Read all
> about it here.
> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/smalltalk-programming-competition-2be77cab0e75>
>

> My plan is to use Pharo for this competition, even if it makes companies
> like Cincom and Instantiations unhappy.
>
> Any support this competition can receive would be greatly appreciated.

I just tweeted about it.

I'm not into a competition spirit, so I would like to think in other
possibilities to fund Pharo, even in the main goal is not reached (USD $
30k). For example, I remember Mozilla thinking in Mozilla Spaces (kind
of hacker/maker spaces for Open Web learning by doing in a community
mindset). Our local hackerspaces cost something like USD $6.5K a year
and it has been a good Pharo Space for almost three years of continuous
activities and several outputs and prototypes as detailed at [1]. I'm
not telling that you should invest in us particularly, but that even
from and alternative perspective that is not related with funding
individuals but communities, the same money that allows only 3
scholarships of individuals after competing each other, would make 4 or
5 communities sustainable in the Global South for a year, related with
Pharo and other activities and here we have the advantage of not having
a lot of technical debt with popular languages well spread in all
population, like happens in the Global North.

[1]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/success-story.md

Maybe these ideas could help in some way when combined with yours and
allow you a model for flexible funding, like the one of Indie GoGo, so
instead of a all or nothing funding for the competence, you could have a
modular approach that allow you to fund several Pharospaces across the
world, for each USD 6.5k you get, starting with those located in the
Global South (which can be more potent, more agile and cheaper).

Just my two pesos.

Cheers,

Offray