hi Horrido,

I would like to thank you for your effort to organize this competition.

But for the amount you are asking (30K USD), I don't expect that much
people to participate if you don't give them
more feedback and information on your project. You have too look how
successful crowdfunding campaigns are working.
Recently, one of my friend Gael Duval organize a crowd campaign to fund a a
new mobile OS that is privacy-enable and ask 25K Euros (less than you, but
receive 95K Euros at the end) and put a lot of energy and info during
several months too convince people:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/290746744/eelo-a-mobile-os-and-web-services-in-the-public-in

Ok, the subject is completely different and maybe his topic is sensible for
a lot of people but the concerns are the same. At the end, you need to
convince people to give you money.

What is your budget ? what kind of competition you will organize ? how you
will convince schools/university to participate ?
How you will reward people for their participation ?

Sorry to say, people will not give money just because you wrote a half-page
statement.

Best,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM horrido <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm disappointed in the response. Only two contributors of $100 each. This
> is
> extremely tepid.
>
> There must be thousands of Smalltalkers around the world. How to reach out
> to them? It can't be that hard to fund this contest. I mean, there are many
> stupid causes on GoFundMe that have raised tens of thousands of dollars!
> This Smalltalk programming competition is anything but stupid.
>
> If only 1500 Smalltalkers each contributed a paltry $20, the contest would
> be fully funded. It would only take 300 contributors of $100 each.
>
> The question is: How much do we care about the future of Smalltalk?

Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute."http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/