"Honestly, Pharo without the environment (and the “live objects” approach)
is just another dynamic language without much interest.
Thinking the IDE is just autocompletion is a poor idea of what a live
environment can do for you."

And I repeat once more, I NEVER said use external editor instead of Pharo,
I said use external editor with Pharo. No idea how to make this any more
clear. With my approach you sacrifice nothing from Pharo.

"These are all valid points (and I started by saying that everybody is free
to do whatever they want), but wouldn't you agree that the best experience
is"

Nothing absolutely nothing in my book comes remotely close to how polished
Delphi and amazingly powerful IDE with great GUI design,
No I dont agree emacs is an IDE at all, even setting up its tools is a huge
pain. I tried to set it up for Python coding and it tooks me ages to reach
absolutely zero. Vim is nowhere near to being an IDE. Lispworks I have no
idea never used it , same story with mathematica. I have used PyCharm which
is I think is the equivelant of IntelliJ, well designed IDE but too weak
for my taste. XCode only supports ObjC and Swift and as an IDE , even
though an Apple product it lets a lot to be desired in GUI design and also
not impressive.

So for me its first Delphi or its open source variant Free Pascal/Lazarus
and then is Pharo. Suprisingly Visual Studio is a nice IDE (just nice) but
not VSCode which I currently use which is 100% code editor.

To be sincere I have given up on the idea of IDEs mainly because even with
Pharo it was a huge pain to customise them, usual coding problem of lack of
documentation, no code comments etc. Nowdays I design my own dev tools from
scratch, they are not pretty but get the job done partially and at least I
know the code well enough to easily improve it.

My livecoding lib has become quite usable lately and now I am slowly
venturing into the territory of memory managment and data visualisation.

The IDE for me is a very personal experience, of course that does not mean
that Pharo and Delphi are not still my idols. Love them both. They are
amazing restaurants, with the best chefs in the world but in the end
nothing is like home made food.

I dont agree that Smalltalk without an IDE is a Smalltalk, thus I do not
consider GNU Smalltalk a Smalltalk at all.

"Giving people a subpar entry into our world will probably not convince
them that there is something cool to be seen there."

I think my video tutorials have given more than enough good reason to use
Pharo and even more to love Pharo. I find it hard to believe that one video
tutorial going to change that. I never hidden my love for Pharo. Also for
me live coding has become mandatory anyway which why I went to such great
extends to implement it in Python and C. Mind you nowhere near the Pharo's
elegance but it works.

"Nice clip - short and sweet. You may want to point people to about chunk
file format in the description to alert people who may break chunk
syntax by accident and get confused when fileIn breaks (been there, done
that :-(). Also a caveat not to edit *.changes or *.sources though they
look very similar to *.st files."

I have explicitly said to edit only st files, no idea how to make myself
any more clear. Although sometime making mistakes is a great excuse to
learn something. Because I never intended this to be a replacement for
Pharo , I thought unnecessary to focus on the syntax of the st file format.

I think I should add a warning to the video "WARNING!!!! THIS IS NO
REPLACEMENT FOR PHARO BUT AN EXTENSION".

"The users that you are going to attract in this way (the ones that don't
want to leave their own IDE/editor), will look at textual Pharo and find it
very strange and ill suited to textual editing (and they are absolutely
right), they will not discover the power, will not learn (from this
experience alone) what object design/programming/power is, and will ask for
more (e.g. give me C style compiler errors, better/easier structure of the
file, fixed the !! escape issue, etc, ...)."

I think you are a bit too optimistic. People if they dont like something
they just give up and move on. When was the last time you saw a post here
by a person saying "I like to use Pharo but I will not because it does not
have X". Rarely if not never, because these type of people you describe are
gone in 50 seconds.

To be sincere if my video makes them leave, awesome, we dont need people
who dont use Pharo complaining about Pharo. And plus I would love someone
to even mention C, I have like an army of complains about this language and
I have to use it everyday. Well at least is not as bad as C++. Thank God
!!!!!

By they way we had this discussion before in the community. When I first
mentioned Git and Github (2011) back when using Git with Pharo and
especially an external website to upload code was unthinkable , if not
heretic,  I can remember how many told me that this would be an excuse for
people not to learn Pharo. I did not buy it then , I did not buy it now.

If you search for Pharo you will find Pharo, its that simple. The rest is
just excuses.

Pharo should not be afraid of other technologies , other technologies
should be afraid of Pharo. Assimilate, resistance is futile.