I think you got this the wrong way

Sure emacs and vim are very popular when compared to Pharo.
When compared to IDEs oh boy , that's another story.
There is a reason why their hardcore user are so desperate to call them
IDEs and is not because they like IDEs, they dont.
They hate IDEs.

Text based coding, has lost .... no my bad , let me correct this, text
coding never stood chance. Smalltalk was like a nuclear bomb that when it
landed it left nothing in its path,
There is no doubt that nowdays IDEs dominating to a vast degree. Obviously
big guns on top are Visual Studio (not Code) and Xcode by far for obvious
reasons.

Even in the case of my favorite IDE , Delphii its really amazing that even
though its company has long disappeared, the all mighty Borland which one
was the equivalent of Sun/Oracle.
With only diffirent that obviously they were innovator. Even though outside
Delphi absolutely none talks about Delphi.
Delphi is surprisingly strong. Actually Delphis popularity is an undeniable
proof how massively successful Smalltalk has been in its
visual paradigm. Its company went to bankruptcy and the language was bought
by a pretty much , even today, unknown company. The impact was that it went
from 4th most popular to 12th most popular.
Delphi even today is a formidable force for the Windows platform battling
Go and freaking Swift who has the support of the most powerful company on
the planet, Apple.There is no doubt in my mind
that if Delphi was not such a massively loved IDE , being closed source
which is a taboo for todays coding standards especially for a programming
language, it would have been long dead.

And lets not begin with scripting language which are basically dead. Python
for example may be the 3rd most popular programming language but scripting
wise has pretty much died.
When it comes to the customisation of super advanced programs , the users
has spoken loud and clear. They want visual coding and NOT text coding.
3 extremely complex fields , 3d graphics , Music and game development are
dominated by Visual Coding languages. In Blender we offer both Python and
Visual coding,
guess what the users pick.

Essentially one type of Visual Coding , node based visual coding.

Also the time where visual coding was just for the users and not for the
pros is long gone too after the massive success of Unreal's Blueprints.
Which basically can do everything C++ can.
Unreal's Blueprints is not even the first example of a visual language that
will give a text language a run for its money. Softimage (3d app) ICE has
been doing high performance coding decades ago.
In music software we even have the insanity of visual language going down
to low level, an I am not talking C++ or C , I mean real low level, old
school Assembly code. Again decades ago.

The users have spoken loud and clear and they have clearly stated they have
no interest into investing the vast amount of wasted time that text coding
requires.

Even to learn how to code is dominated by Scratch. Just think about it, a
language for kids dominates programming education.
If you told that to a coder or even a user 20 years ago, he would have
called you crazy and for a good reason.

Text coding is only getting less and less popular by the year. I have no
doubt at some point will completely disappear as did Assembly.

So the biggest mistake of Smalltalk was not that it supported visual coding

it was that it did not go visual coding all the way.

It will have saved us the trouble of not being able to convince people to
learn coding.
Because people do not want to learn coding,
And frankly.... I do not blame them.

Visual coding is the only future of coding and Emac and Vim are relics of a
past that has long gone.
A despair attempt at nostalgia.