I'm a member of several communities which are welcoming and diverse,
without a explicit Code of Conduct. That's doesn't mean that such
communities doesn't see the political nature of technology, or that the
way people participate on such communities is not deeply informed on who
the participants are. I don't think that people just exchange words, but
I don't think that we need to go, at least at this moment, to Speech
Acts Theory or other approach on how words are mostly not "just words".
But this is informed by my particular context and education. In some
countries free speech is not an absolute right and for example is
subordinated to non-defamatory or non-violent speech.

So while I agree, as Esteban, Ramon and others have pointed, on the view
that this is a community where discussions are usually civilized and we
can agree to disagree, like in this very subject, I don't think that
"technology is neutral" or "politics are bad" or identity/context
doesn't inform participation, but usually these are blind spots for
people under privileged circumstances. That doesn't mean that I agreed
with the Covenants CoC neither. And even when this position seems like a
non-position, what I'm trying to showcase is that there are a lot of
grays in the binary reading of we can have safe spaces for people or we
can have discussions on ideas, but not both. I believe that there is
much to think about yet, at least on a personal level and hopefully at
some point on a community one. I will take a pause from this thread to
think it more deeply.

Cheers,

Offray