No, the springs are fine.  might want to take a look at the condition of the
topworks isolation washers
though.  The little spring belongs on the top of the frame, you want to check
all of them.

If you disassemble, clean, inspect the motor and then just assemble the motor
without the spring and
governor you can spin it by hand and check for gear alignment and bent shafts.
A good hard look at
the gear on the governor shaft is also in order.  The gear teeth are supposed
to be symmetrical, so
compare the back to front profile.  If worn, a replacement should be easy to
find.  The governor shaft is
the major source of the loud whirring noise.  It will also slam back and forth
between the bearing
mounts if there is more than a couple of thousands of clearance.

You want to spin it by hand dry, no lube, so any mis alignment is obvious.

Rich