How odd then that oiling gear teeth was recommended in Edison's
instruction sheets. It's been a while since all those mechanical
engineering courses, but I don't recall anything about dissimilar
metal gears being "self lubricating." I even pulled out my
Machinery's Handbook just to make sure.... not one word about it.

Keep the gears clean and lightly oiled.

Regards,
Loran