My Pathe' Actuelle fitted with a diamond stylus plays DD's quite nicely!  John

From esrobe...@hotmail.com  Fri Apr 11 14:52:13 2008
From: esrobe...@hotmail.com (Robert Wright)
Date: Fri Apr 11 14:52:20 2008
Subject: [Phono-L] Vertical on DD, Edison on saphire?

Not all Ultona tonearms had the DD attachment.  Those that did required
flipping the reproducer so that its geometry was the same as a DD phono's.
So in the vertical position, perpendicular to the disc, it played laterals;
in one horizontal position, it played DD's, and in the other horizontal
position 180 degrees of the DD position, it played Pathe type verticals,
with essentially the same geometry as a Pathe machine, just with the
diaphragm 90 degrees different (parallel to the disc).

That's as far as I've been able to tell from all the pictures I've seen.
I've been looking for an Ultona-equipped tabletop for years, but haven't
found one with all three disc set-ups.

Somewhere on youtube there's a video of a DD being played with a 3-way
Ultona.  The groove is indeed driving the tonearm's lateral motion, but it
sounds fabulous in the video.

Best,
Robert