From: john robles <john9...@pacbell.net>
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Sun, Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm
Subject: [Phono-L] Which would you choose - Opera or Fireside?

Hi everyone, and a very nice Sunday to you all.
I went to our Golden State Phonograph Society (California MAPS Chapter) club
meeting at Ron Dethlefson's house yesterday, and as we usually offer things for
sale, I took my Triumph model B with 2/4 conversion, model H reproducer and
repro 14" horn and my Fireside A with orig Fireside horn in very nice
condition.
I had only taken the Fireside because a friend was going to bring me a Fireside
crane so I could hang the horn. I took the Triumph on a whim. So what happened
is that I ended up choosing between them. I sold the Triumph and kept the
Fireside. The Triumph takes a huge bite out of my room with the MG horn, and I
don't like it with the 14" horn. The Fireside looks great with a very nice
original red horn I got recently. Lots of paint on the horn. And the machine
plays great. So although the Triumph is a nice heavy duty machine, very nice
condition, 2/4, I still preferred the Fireside. Now for the question -
Have you ever made a choice between a more valuable and rarer machine and a
less
valuable and more common machine? and if so, which one did you keep?
John Robles