Matt,

I recommend using separate style sheets. This is especially important
when your users are browsing a record set, say 10 records at a time.
There is no need to pass them the style sheet embedded in the PHP page
for every page view. If the stylesheet is a file on the file system, it
is more efficient for the server to serve that than parse a PHP page. In
addition, most CSS files are not dynamic (some are). Since they are not
dynamic in most cases they may as well be cached by the browser. If
style is embedded in the PHP page and you have no-cache headers in your
PHP then you will be passing this redundant data over and over again to
the browser. If it is a separate flat file on the file system, it will
have a real mod date and the web server and browser can determine when a
fresh copy is needed.

My 2 cents.

Dan

Matt wrote...