At 03:43 PM 4/18/01 +0800, Lester June Cabrera wrote:

>How would I install PHP with Oracle support if Oracle is on another
>machine, not in the web server machine?

  1.  Install the Oracle Net8 client on your web server...

  2.  Configure the Oracle Net8 client on your web server...

  3.  Compile PHP with OCI8 support...

  Now, the next thing that usually happens is that I'll get an email asking
me "where do I get the Oracle Net8 client?"  then, "how do I install the
Net8 client?"  still later, I'll get another email asking "how do I
configure the Net8 client?"  then...

  So, to avoid all that...

   The Oracle Net8 client is available from Oracle Corporation.  There is a
client available for just about every platform imaginable.  Call Oracle
support with your CSI number and they'll gladly ship whichever client
platform software you need for free.  Sometimes, the client software isn't
available as a stand-alone disk, and they'll send you an entire Oracle 8i
installation set - fear not, it contains the Net8 client for that architecture.

   To configure the Net8 client, follow the directions provided with the
installation.  Basically, you need to set up your tnsnames.ora file to
locate the oracle server.  There are utilities installed with the client to
help you configure and test it.  It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you
to *also* install the SQL*Plus software, which operates through the Net8
interface as well...

  - Brian

    Brian S. Dunworth
    Sr. Software Development Engineer