Well, where did you install it?  If the header files are under
/usr/local/mysql/include and the library files are under
/usr/local/mysql/lib (for example) then you would need to tell PHP to use
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
since PHP needs to be able to find both the header and library files
somewhere under the path you give it.

-Rasmus