to tie in web based scripts and database updates with some server side
authentication issues, we need to have a PHP script be called from
another program.  The program expects a return or exit value to be
transmitted back on completion or termination of the script.  0
indicating success and anything else indicating failure

PHP has exit() and die() which, all though you can place a variable or
string in
it, only prints it to the screen (or other output target) prior to
killing itself, and does not send an exit code as would a perl script

is there any way to generate a exit code on the completion of a php
script that will be  interpreted by the program or CGI calling the
script, even if it is code to wrap the PHP script in yet another perl
shell.  We need to send some variables back from the PHP script to the
terminal as open text (just printed to the screen), but the program is
specifically waiting for the exit code.

really want to avoide writing a perl/dbi script to carry out this
function.

Appreciate any insight

Dave