Hi all:

The few php/MySQL apps I've developed that required username/password access, have
simply been a
means of comparing usernames and hashes of passwords in a DB. My next application
needs to be
slightly more secure but nothing like the needs of protecting online banking or
vulnerable private
info.

I have read several articles at phpbuilder.com and stuff at php.net, and frankly most
of it seems
to be overly contrived.

I wonder wether some list members would be able to point me in the direction of code
and/or
tutorials that *explain* in English what they're doing and why. For example why they
are storing an
MD5() hash of something in a seperate file outside the web-server's doc-root etc etc.

Once I have my head round the concepts I'll be posting my findings to a public
location which
list-members will be among the first to view.

I thank y'all for any help you are able to give.
Cheers

Russ

  "Believe nothing - consider everything"

  Russ Michell
  Anglia Polytechnic University Webteam
  Room 1C 'The Eastings' East Road, Cambridge

  e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  w: www.apu.ac.uk/webteam
  t: +44 (0)1223 363271 x 2331

  www.theruss.com