I don't understand why you won't use forms with buttons and hidden controls
since you know about this solution. I have two suggestions along this line:
1. You probably don't want buttons on the page -- you may use image icons
instead (similar to a tape recorder's "play" and "fast forward" for next page
and last page)
2. If you don't want to use images either, you may use regular links with
"href='javascript:document.nextPage.submit()'" where nextPage would be the form
name with the page forward data -- and so on.

HTH

Bogdan