Aren't all these form solutions making things more
complex than they need to be? Why not just pass the
parameters in the URL

Use php to echo out start_at and end_at variables

ie. <A
HREF="http://website.com/search.php?keyword=something&start_at=15&end_at=30";>2</A>
<A
HREF="http://website.com/search.php?keyword=something&start_at=31&end_at=45";>3</A>