From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 10:34 AM
To: Todd Williamsen; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] addslashes()

At 10:22 -0600 2/8/02, Todd Williamsen wrote:
>Paul,
>
>No kidding I see the problem, that is why I am asking how do I solve
it.

By writing a content parser that is intelligent enough to recognize HTML
constructs and pass them through literally, while recognizing when your
people write other stuff containing the same characters that does not
signify HTML.  In other words, a parser that can read their minds.  Good
luck. :-)

Alternatively, tell them to signal special constructs using a syntax
that doesn't overlap HTML so that you can recognize the constructs and
transform them to HTML when you render a Web page.

Alternatively, tell them that if they want to include literal characters
like < or >, they must enter them as &lt; or &gt;.  In this case, you
interpret the text as HTML that's already properly escaped and you
simply
display it as is with no extra conversion.

None of these are particularly attractive.  It's an ugly problem; I
suspect
it has no pretty solution.