correct to my knowledge.....

I am not sure even running ASP on a linux server would allow you to open the
word documents, as I think ASP uses COM to do the dirty work.....

of course, you could always do the world a favor and not use microsoft's
proprietary file formats in any way.  an open standard will always be easier
and be able to reach the most people--even micorosft products can read open
standard documents, why shutoff the rest of the world to what you are doing
by using M$?

glad to hear you are running linux, though, so you must already know most of
this.... :-)

best of luck in your endeavors!

court