I think I understand how to set up replication but have a couple unanswered
questions. I'm hoping the list can help.

I have two servers with MySQL.  Each server currently has completely
different databases, except for the standard mysql permissions database.
Server 1 is in production and server 2 is basically a development box.  I
would like to replicate server 1's databases to server 2 (in effect,
creating a hot-swap), but then that would mean that server 2 not only has
the production db's, but also the development db's.  My  question are:

1) Is that even possible to do?  Can a slave to a master also have
additional db's on it that the master doesn't even know about?

2) If the answer to question one is yes, then what do you do regarding the
mysql permissions db on the slave?

BTW, I'm thinking that my setup perhaps has to be more along the following
lines:

The master contains all my db's, both production and development.  The
production db's (as well as the development db's) would sit there in
production on server 1, replicating all the data to server 2.  I would have
to set the permissions for both production and development db's on server 1.

Meanwhile, as the production server is sitting there and replicating all
it's important data to the development box, I could still work on the
development db's on the slave box (thereby not fooling around with the
production box).

The issue, as I see it, would be that the slave box's development db's would
soon go out of synch with the development db's on the master (because I'd be
inserting, updating, etc. records on the development db's on the slave and
the master would never know).  I could set up two-way replication, but since
I don't really care about the development db's being in synch on the master,
why bother.  Does this make sense?

Anyway, I hope I've made this clear enough for someone to jump with answers
and comments.

Jeff