Write a simple web service.

Put a few PHP pages on the NT server, which take parameters, and return
results.  For example, create a function that takes a string (sql statement,
eg) as a parameter, and echos a comma delimited page (the resulting
recordset).

Then, on the Linux/Unix box, use the HTTP methods to call the page, passing
the string and then parses the output.

I've done this with ASP to interact with some VB programs that some of our
remote sites use.  It works well.