You're trying to use double quotes, in which the variable is evaluated and the stored
value is shown, right?  Try using single quotes.  For example, with $name = "Martin".

echo "My name is $name.";
OUTPUT:  My name is Martin.

echo 'My name is $name.';
OUTPUT:  My name is $name.

It's interpreted literally, so you could store it in your database as such.  HTH

Martin Clifford
Homepage: http://www.completesource.net
Developer's Forums: http://www.completesource.net/forums/

>>> Raquel Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/24/02 04:49PM >>>
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:23:54 +1200
David Robley David Robley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > I've run out of ideas.  I want to store a variable name and a
> > function call in a text column of a MySQL database and have them
> > interpreted at runtime, but I can't figure out how to do it.
> >
> > Examples:
> > "This is the $nbrtimes you've asked."
> > and
> > "$answer is the square root of sqrt($nbr)."
> >
> > I've tried to figure out "eval()" but don't seem to be able to
> make
> > it work either.  Any ideas?
> >

> Perhaps if you can show what you have tried and the problem you
> have had,
> someone may be able to help you further.
>
> --
> David Robley

I'm sorry to hear that you don't know how to store a variable name
in a database and then evaluate that same variable name as a
variable after it's retrieved from the database.  Maybe someone else
will have an idea?

--
Raquel