Thankyou Jason, the problem was indeed in the html code. The code was
broken
into multiple lines and indented, by moving it all onto one line with no
spaces between the >< it now works. Also, when I tab or place the cursor
inside
the textarea, the cursor now is placed in the upper left corner, whereas
before
it was one tab furthor into the box, now I know why that happens also.

thanks,
--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 9? Somebody help me!)

Jason Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/27/2002 09:24:35 AM:

> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 23:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I have some error checking routines for my web forms, and they are
working
> > great except for one
> > field, a textarea field. I am using the following code, but it does not
> > give an error when the field is
> > empty:
> >
> > if (empty($feedback))
> > {
> > $errmsg .= "<font color='red'><li>You might want to enter some
> > comments</li></font>\n";
> > }

> Presumably $errmsg is not appended to because empty($feedback) is FALSE.
IOW